Mā te huruhuru ka rere te manu
Adorn the bird with feathers so it may soar
The Ministry is two years into a six-year programme to refresh The New Zealand Curriculum.
Te Mātaiaho | the refreshed curriculum will support students to experience success in their learning. It will give practical effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and will be inclusive, clear about the learning that matters, and easy to use from year 0 to year 13.
The refreshed curriculum content is being developed and released in phases, and schools and kura will have until the beginning of 2027 to start using the fully refreshed curriculum.
However, schools and kura must use the refreshed mathematics and statistics and English learning areas from the start of 2025.
Aotearoa New Zealand's histories already must be taught in all schools.
- Start using new guidance material and supports for the refreshed English and mathematics and statistics learning areas.
- Plan your next teacher-only day with specially-developed resources.
- Do the self-guided module on the progressions model in Te Mātaiaho.
- Dig into the implementation supports pack to start planning ahead.
- Keep up to date through the Curriculum Newsletter.
The refreshed NZ curriculum
What will change and what it means for you
Support for schools and kura
Support and resources for implementing the refreshed New Zealand Curriculum
Resources to support teacher-only days